Wednesday, September 26, 2018

If you click here, you will be redirected to Anahi and Michelle's scenario regarding a student who abused technology by looking up and showing his peers inappropriate photos.
Image result for what would you do clip art

If I were Mark's teacher, I would immediately revoke his technology privileges and would contact his parents. I feel as if sex is an inappropriate topic to have one on one with a student, and should be had with the parent or guardian present to prevent any presumptions. I would explain to Mark that this is completely unacceptable, and that he will have to work very hard to earn his technology privileges back. As a second grader, Mark should know that this is not proper classroom behavior, and that it should never happen again.

5 comments:

  1. Calara, I agree with you. Student will need to earn back his technology but on the other hand, what if the class is doing a lesson on a computer? How would that look like if Mark is not allowed to be in a computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle, Mark is not the problem here, something is going on at home if a 2nd grader is looking up the word sex. it may be an older sibling or someone else putting ideas in his head. there is something more and needs to be examined

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I see where you are coming from. But that problem can be easily solved by having him share a screen with another student, simply observing. He has shown that he is not responsible enough to use his own technology.

    Jeff, I agree. This would also need to be discussed with the parents. But Mark should know better than to do this. He knows what is right and wrong at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great response. It's smart because to have a parent with you because in all honesty anyone can twist your words or story. I would even consider having another coworker with you as a witness. What would you do if a parent were demanding their child use technology alongside their peers in class so they don't feel left out? What if parents claim their child made a "mistake" but should be forgiven since after all he is a child? What are your thoughts on that matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Anahi.
      I would tell the parent that in my classroom, I use a privilege system and that her child would need to earn that privilege back. In my classroom, I am in charge and it is my decision whether Mark has earned that right back or not. It was a mistake, and I would forgive the student but that does not mean he earns the privilege back right away.

      Delete